Google has done it again, after many acquisitions and removal of beta and making it full fetched out of beta products like gmail , now its the another THING which would almost kill most of its product competitors, and this time its the Google Chrome OS, also called as the Chromium OS.
Here is tutorial to Download Google Chrome OS and how to configure it
First of all don’t expect its going to be more efficient like windows 7 , its almost like linux . The current version to boot your computer with this OS like Windows is running it on a Virtual Machine on your computer. Which means that this would use addition PC resources in order to run because the normal OS would also run in the background. The OS needs you to login to a Google Account but dont use your main account , use a temporary one because it can have many problems .
Starting with VirtualBox :
Download the 200Mb torrent file which comes in the .BZ2 format and then extract in on your computer using programs like this ones .
Once extracted the total setup file is a Chrome OS Image vmdk file of 712mb size.
- Next download Virtual Box [another alternative VMware Player ] based on your PC configuration which is a free software useful for running a virual machine on your computer.
- Install Virtual Box , Next you will be asked to register for a Sun Online Account ,
- Sign up !
- Its free as Virtual Box is a service from Sun.
Next, once the installation is completed you will find a screen like the following one.
Click on New > Next > and follow the On screen options.
You will be asked to give a name for the Virtual Machine , give it any name.
Then you will be asked to set how much RAM you would like to allot from your total physical RAM, though by default there would be a number given to you which you can proceed.
- Next you will be asked to create a Virtual Hard Disk in which you have a option to create a new Hard Drive for booting up or else use existing Hard Drive.
- Now select the 2nd option and then click on the Home Folder option you find in it. [If you have one more hard disc then 1st option ]
- You will get a popup on your screen called as Virtual Media Manager, click on Add .
- Then browse the file you had earlier downloaded from the torrent website and select it
Recheck if you had selected the option of Use existing hard disk.
Click on Next & Finish
At last on the main screen you need to click on the Start Button which will start running the Chrome OS and it will take few minutes to start up !
In order to continue you need to login with your Google Account
It is lightweight , Do try to install if you are a google fan or if you have nothing better to do !
Note : This is not self bootable operating system , For Mac users use VMware Fusion
Another site for this tutorial is gdgt
Chromium OS Security
Chromium OS & Open Source
Chromium OS Fast Boot
If anuone has too tried it , sont forget to share your experiences !