If you are Pro unix user then i hope you should have tried Ubuntu's latest distro Lucid lynx 10.04 . Even if you are using Jaunty version of Ubuntu you can update to 10.04 . And now the hot news !
The Ubuntu developers have released another update to ubuntu 10.04 making it 10.10 - The Maverick Meerkat Alpha 1 which is the first alpha release of Ubuntu .
How to Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to 10.10 alpha ?
- Press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" In the command box.
- Update Manager should open up and display:
- Click Upgrade .
Install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed; edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal;
Launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade -d;
And follow the on-screen instructions.
New Updates in Maverick
- GNOME : The GNOME base platform has been updated to the current 2.31 versions including the new dconf and gsettings API.
- Evolution : Updated to the 2.30 version, which operates much faster compared to the version in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
- KDE : Updated to the current 4.5 beta 1 release.
- Qt :Updated to the current 4.7 beta release.
Alpha 1 includes the 2.6.34-5.12 kernel based on 2.6.34
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/maverick/alpha-1/ (Ubuntu Desktop, Server, and Netbook)
- http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/maverick/alpha-1/ (Ubuntu Server for UEC and EC2)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/maverick/alpha-1/ (Kubuntu Desktop and Netbook)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/maverick/alpha-1/ (Xubuntu)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/maverick/alpha-1/ (Ubuntu Studio)
Please note that this is an alpha release [ not even beta ! ]. If you are anxious then this is for you .
Otherwise this can make system go wild if you dont know much about this and use ubuntu just for fun :D
Better wait for the final stable version that will be launched on October 10, 2010.